About the Phases of Bariatric Recovery
"I've worked too hard and too long to let anything stand in the way of my goals. I will not let my teammates down and I will not let myself down."
— Mia Hamm
Following surgery, your doctor will go over a five-phase, post-bariatric surgery diet plan designed to help your body adapt to healthier eating habits. You and your doctor will be able to decide when it is safe for you to move to the next phase of the diet plan, as the process varies for each patient.
Here is a brief overview of each phase.
- It is recommended to consume 60-80 grams of protein. Consume these proteins first at meals.
- A protein supplement is recommended to help you meet your protein needs.
- Continue with the goal of 60 to 80 grams of protein from food sources. Consume these proteins first at meals. Patients may need to consume a protein-rich food in between meals to meet their daily requirements. Try one of the following:
- 6 ounce light yogurt or light Greek yogurt
- 1 reduced fat string cheese
- ¼ - ½ cup low fat cottage cheese.