Black Bean and Corn Burgers
Check off ingredients as you shop!
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh, frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 can BPA-free black beans, drained
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup oat flour (or ground, rolled oats)
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsps cumin powder
- 1 heaping tsp paprika
- 1 heaping tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt (use less if your canned beans are presalted, or you’re sensitive to salt)
- Black pepper or red pepper flakes to taste
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 169
- Carbs: 33 g
- Fat: 1 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Sodium: 393 mg
- Sugar: 3 g
Sautee onion and corn in water or coconut oil spray for ten minutes, until golden, soft, and fragrant.
Add beans and tomato sauce. Stir in the sautee pan till all is warm.
Dump rice into the bowl of a food processor. Add the beans, onion, tomato paste, and corn. Pulse quickly. Add spices, oat flour, and a touch of water, if you need it. Pulse more, until you have a thick and sticky but still textured mass. If it’s too wet, add a tbsp or two of additional oat flour.
Shape into 4-6 patties. Pan fry (I always use coconut oil spray) till nice and browned. Serve with fresh guac, if desired!