Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup
Check off ingredients as you shop!
- 1 teaspoon of coconut or olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup of dry red lentils (washed and picked through for stones)
- 1½ cups of chopped butternut squash
- 6 cups of low sodium vegetable broth, divided 4 cups and 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 141
- Carbs: 27 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Sodium: 251 mg
- Sugar: 8 g
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion, carrots and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are tender.
2. Add lentils, squash and 4 cups of the broth to the pot. Add the seasonings. Bring to a boil, then turn down to low and let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes.
3. Add the extra 2 cups of broth, heat for 5 more minutes and serve."