Skinny Broccoli Cheese Soup
Check off ingredients as you shop!
- 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 4 cups broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup fat free half-and-half
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional, garnish)"
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 183
- Carbs: 16 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Sodium: 684 mg
- Sugar: 7 g
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
2. Turn off the heat. Using an immersion (hand) blender, blend the soup until it's creamy. [Alternatively if you don't have a hand blender you can use a regular blender: Pour soup into a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return soup to pan.]
3. Stir in 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup half-and-half and 2 ounces cheese. You don't need to turn the stove back on again, the residual heat from the soup should melt the cheese.
4. Top evenly with remaining 1 tbsp cheese per bowl and parsley.