Tuscan Chickpea Soup
Check off ingredients as you shop!
- Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp
- 2 Cups Onion, finely chopped
- 8 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Water, 4 Cups
- Rosemary, 1 tsp minced fresh or 1/4 tsp dried
- Salt, 3/4 Tsp
- Black Pepper, 1/4 Tsp
- 3 (15 1/2-Ounce) Cans Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2-Ounce) Can Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- Balsamic Vinegar, 2 Tbsps
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese, 6 Tbsp (1 1/2 Ounces) grated
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 180
- Carbs: 28g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 8g
- Sodium: 654mg
- Sugar: 6g
1. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven (or a large pot) over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the water and the next 5 ingredients (water through tomatoes), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
2. Place 2 cups soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into a bowl. Repeat procedure with 2 cups soup.
(Note: the other alternative here is to use a hand blender – it works a lot more quickly and is a lot less messy!)
3. If using a blender, return all pureed soup to pan. Stir in the vinegar, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Spoon 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.